The Friends of Smuts House is a voluntary organisation dedicated to supporting the General Smuts Foundation, Museum and surrounding property (including the private nature area of Smuts Koppie and Oubaas trail) in practical ways and fundraising and in promoting the vision of the General Smuts Foundation. The Friends Group is affiliated to the Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa. Its members are deeply involved in arranging regular cultural activities at the Museum and in developing the grounds. We fund raise by having events such as guided bird walks, guided nature walks and monthly supper talks on various subjects relevant to Smuts and the environment.
Aims of the Friends
- Preservation of the General Smuts House Museum
- Maintenance and preservation of the private nature area of Smuts Koppie, Oubaas Trail and Arboretum
- Promotion of historical and environmental education
Membership fees: per annum
- Single: R200
- Family: R300,00
- Institutions/Clubs - on request
Benefits to Friends
- Free Museum entrance for Friends.
- Reduced charges for social events, talks, walks and lectures
- Occasional newsletter
- Most of all – the knowledge that you will be involved in the preservation, for posterity, of an important part of our national, historical and natural heritage.
Smuts House Museum and its Natural Environment
The preservation of the Smuts House Museum and the Smuts Koppie for future generations can only be achieved with YOUR HELP.
Smuts House Museum and its natural environment, including the Smuts Koppie, provide a unique insight into the unpretentious life-style of the Smuts family. General Smuts was an international Statesman, national leader, soldier and lawyer. Botany and philosophy were his abiding interests, as demonstrated in his extensive library and herbarium.
The Tea Garden, set under shady trees in quiet country surroundings, serves light meals, delicious scones and cream and liquid refreshments. Functions can also be catered for.
How can you help preserve this historical and natural area for future generations?
- Donations: Make a donation to maintain and preserve the Smuts House Museum, Library and environment.
- Fundraising Activities: Volunteer to assist with functions and activities such as bird walks, botany walks, supper talks and environmental education.
- Workparties: Join the group of workers maintaining the Nature Trail and conserving the natural area of the Smuts Farm Conservancy.
Please apply to be a Member of the Friends by clicking here: MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM and filling out the form provided: